[nSLUG] Replaced CD drive - won't boot, won't play, players don't recognize

Robert Ashley rb.ashley at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 00:44:40 ADT 2007

George wrote:
> I had errors like this with a CD ROM earlier this year.    I removed the
> drive, took off the front panel and case, and cleaned the dog hairs
> out of the mechanism.  Since then it has been working fine.
>
> It has been a while since I needed any cdrom entries in fstab.   If gnome/kde
> doesn't automagically mount the drive (e.g., because X is broken), the
> command line can be used:

Dog hairs, hmmm.  Well, it's been a year since my dog died and and
year and bit since my cat bit the dust, so no hairs here. But looks
like this cleaning might be a good shot to try.

George wrote:
> $ sudo mkdir /mnt/cd
> $ sudo mount -t iso9660 /dev/sdc /mnt/cd -o ro,uid=me,gid=me
> [...]
> $ sudo eject /dev/sdc
>
> I get the /dev bit from "dmesg |tail"

Here's the result:
ashley:/home/bob# mkdir /mnt/cd
ashley:/home/bob# mount -t iso9600mount -t iso9660 /dev/sdc /mnt/cd -o
ro,uid=me,gid=me
mount: special device /dev/sdc does not exist

ashley:/home/bob# eject /dev/sdc
eject: unable to find or open device for: `/dev/sdc'

No eject...so:
ashley:/home/bob# cdeject

Cd ejected.

bob