[nSLUG] Replaced CD drive - won't boot, won't play, players don't recognize

Eugene Cormier eugene.cormier at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 00:40:14 ADT 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-08 at 00:24 -0300, Robert Ashley wrote:

> Here confirms the change:
> # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
> /dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   auto user,noauto     0       0

shouldn't it be?:
/dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   user,auto 0 0

> Yup, an audio CD.  It spins but no output. Then a data CD. It powers
> up for 4 or 5 secs, stops, powers up, stops, powers up, stops...ad
> infinitum. Light blinks on (1/2 sec) at onset of power, then blinks
> off.
>
> I had a hunch you were scratching your head on this "auto" thing,
> wondering why it didn't work. I decided to switch physical drives
> again, back to the original unit.
>
> Well, lo!! A data CD, a photo album archive, worked perfectly!! Woo hoo!!
>
> Now, inserting an audio disk prompts an audio disk icon to appear on
> the desktop, something that wasn't happening before! I was hopeful,
> but unfortunately, the Gnome CDplayer wouldn't recognize it. Using
> cdtools in the console, I could get the cddrive to play, pause, stop
> and eject, but no sound.

maybe it's not turned up (I assume you use Gnome so when you double
click on the volume applet in the taskbar, click "edit" - "preferences"
and make sure all are selected) ...then go through all appropriate
faders...if you're not sure turn it up anyways :)
maybe that'll help....but maybe the cd drive doesn't have the audio out
hooked into the sound card

> I tried a different data CD I had burned awhile back. Worked perfect.
> Then I tried an Ubuntu disk (new), included in the last issue of Linux
> World (User?).  Nothing, nada, rien.

I've gotten a few duds in linux mags....but it could be missing cdrom fs
kernel modules??

Cheers,
Eugene

*           Eugene Cormier             *
*          Acadia University           *
*        www.eugenecormier.com         *
*       eugene.cormier at gmail.com       *
*       DEN 152, (902) 585-1329        *
*  Classical Guitar, Music Technology  *
* Preliminary Rudiments, Guitar Class, *
*           Guitar Ensemble            *