[nSLUG] Re: Article on why monoculture gets picked

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 11:47:55 ADT 2007

On 27/04/07, Mike Spencer <mspencer at tallships.ca> wrote:

> It's quite reasonable that managers embedded in the aforesaid
> constellation find FOSS scary, silly or incomprehensible.  So what's
> to do?
>
> Creating an image of FOSS in general or, say, a single Linux distro
> that makes it look like the controlled, efficient product of
> hierarchical organization is going to require a lot of body filler to
> cover over the holes before the shiny coat of candy apple
> tangerine-flake lacquer goes on.
>
> Herding or cajoling all the very diverse volunteer hackers into
> following some strategic organizational plan for a systematic
> rationalization of all or most of FOSS (or Linux) can only, AFAICS,
> result in getting some fraction on board for the SRSF (Systematic
> Rational Strategy Fork) of whatever. :-)

Nice reply!

However as I understood it, the article and Donald's comments were not
suggesting either of these scenarios.  It suggested simply that the open
source world should openly ascribe more value for contributions to
existing projects, and less value to individuals starting new projects,
than it does at present.

No body filler, and no grand strategic organizational plan, just a bit of
course change in the societal attitude which would, hopefully, result in a
bit more focus on some of the high-profile projects, and a bit less focus
on Jimbo's ego-stroking http server project that works, well, sort of.
Well it used to work.  Back when it was being written.  On distro "jimbo".

-D.

!DSPAM:46320d1e256358756614410!