[nSLUG] Article on why monoculture gets picked

Oliver Doepner odoepner at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 20:56:47 ADT 2007

Donald,

if you have a support contract with Redhat, Novell or the like then you
have a right to complain when your problems are ignored.

If you make a suggestion for improvement to a project run by volunteers
then you have to find and convince people to help you. Nobody in an open
source project has an obligation to care about their users.

Having said that, I understand some of your points about a lack of
efficiency and reliability in some open source projects. If the common
goal of all those developers just was to beat M$ by creating the one
great Linux distro to rule them all then you'd have some valid points.

But I think it is much more a mix of interests, concerns and goals that
drives the "open source community". And I think that is good. For
example KDE, Gnome and XFCE constantly improve through competition.

And of course there is a lot of crappy code and dead projects on
sourceforge. So what? I totally believe in reusable code but writing it
is hard and not everyone wants to take the time and overhead that comes
with collaboration.

cheers
Oliver

BTW: Kompozer is the "bug fix release" of Nvu. It is probably nowhere
near Dreamweaver but has at least some of the features: http://kompozer.net/

You might also take a look at a new contender named Aptana:
http://www.aptana.com/download_all.php

--
Oliver Doepner
http://users.eastlink.ca/~odoepner/