[nSLUG] Article on why monoculture gets picked

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 10:19:45 ADT 2007

On 4/26/07, Ben Armstrong <synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca> wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 08:56:41 -0300
> "D G Teed" <donald.teed at gmail.com> wrote:
> > That would be great, but developers claim there is a lack of resources.
>
> Which developers?  Which projects?

Debian Installer and/or the release update bunch.
I'd have to search for who, and it doesn't matter -
it was a public forum where something incorrect
could have been corrected.

> I've suggested updating the Debian installer CD's kernel on debian-users
> > and I heard it would take too much effort.  I know from real life
> > experience that this is an obstacle to Debian acceptance.
>
> To be sure, getting support from Debian is a messy business, and I am
> not excusing every fault in how Debian runs itself.  But I can't see
> how it could be any other way.  You're just not going to get Debian to
> care about protecting the "image of Linux" or catering to the needs of
> "CTO types".  However, you might get a *subgroup* of Debian developers
> to care, and that's what the CDD concept is all about.  For example,
> see:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2007/04/msg00538.html

I'll take a look at the thread.

> Perhaps I've got it wrong.  I thought it was desirable
> > for things to be done in software development which aid in
> > personal and corporate adoption.
>
> Yes.
>
> > With the responses I get
> > in this LUG, it seems that people prefer it to remain
> > something you can get if you can figure it out and RTFM.
>
> When have I given you that impression?  I intensely care about making

Sorry.   I should not have used RTFM, as that is too associated with

Anywhere (including other mailing lists or forums) I've suggested the Debian

installer CD should be updated periodically with a newer kernel
to better support installations to newer hard drive controller chipsets,
I've heard the response that I don't need to install from CDROM.
The information provided was negative: "you don't have to do that"
as opposed to positive: "here are the other installation paths".
Once the response was of the sort "if you don't know how, then
you shouldn't be an admin".  These are examples of the type of
response I equate with RTFM.

But my point in those discussions, and on this list, is
not about how to make an installation by PXE/netboot, etc.
I know how to do that.  My observation is from 30,000 ft. up,
and what I've witnessed is that some managers don't like to see
non-standard installation required, as it presents a
complication for getting junior admins to handle installations.
What I've witnessed is going to be a common scenario in larger IT centres.

--Donald

!DSPAM:4630a6f3150951546718359!