[nSLUG] Article on why monoculture gets picked

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 08:56:41 ADT 2007

On 4/26/07, Ben Armstrong <synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca> wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 07:46:32 -0300
> "D G Teed" <donald.teed at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Awhile ago I wrote about the virtues of having fewer distros
> > and more developers per distro.
>
> Why not both?  Debian has ~1000 developers.

That would be great, but developers claim there is a lack of resources.
I've suggested updating the Debian installer CD's kernel on debian-users
and I heard it would take too much effort.  I know from real life
experience that this is an obstacle to Debian acceptance.

Perhaps I've got it wrong.  I thought it was desirable
for things to be done in software development which aid in
personal and corporate adoption.  With the responses I get
in this LUG, it seems that people prefer it to remain
something you can get if you can figure it out and RTFM.
Make something for the black T-shirt crowd and the
white collars can use it if they feel like it.  Maybe there
is a bit a elitism at hand too?

Personally I think this mode of thinking is outdated and needs
reform.  But then in 1980 I was talking about recycling and
everyone told me I was nuts, it would be too expensive, it
will never happen.

--Donald

!DSPAM:4630937a144041696619721!