lighttpd was [nSLUG] Article on why monoculture gets picked

Ian Campbell ian at slu.ms
Wed Apr 25 21:29:12 ADT 2007

On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 09:14:58PM -0300, Dop Ganger wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Apr 2007, Stephen Gregory wrote:
>
> >I had just started using lighttpd as was no aware of the memory
> >leak. It looks like it is an ongoing problem. Thanks for the pointer
> >to Nginx.
>
> Another option is the range from www.acme.com; thttpd, mini_httpd and
> micro_httpd. Performance decreases as you go down the range, but if you
> want something just to (for example) display MRTG graphs on an internal
> web page, micro_httpd is more than enough. Performance from thttpd is
> surprisingly good, especially under load.

I should chime in again. From my experience with... let's call it a
"very large image host", thttpd doesn't quite measure up either. Given
the load we had, I don't remember being able to squeeze more than
around 30-40mbit/s out of it, and at moderate system load. There was
some other issue with it, but I'm a bit fuzzy on it right now as I
left at about that time.

Of course, that was also a while ago, it's quite possible things have
changed since then.

Cheers.