[nSLUG] Article on why monoculture gets picked

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Wed Apr 25 20:59:02 ADT 2007

On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 04:11:21PM -0300, D G Teed wrote:

> I'm curious, why would an embedded system use a DNS server?

Because it needs one. The embedded system in question is a Linksys
WRT54 running OpenWRT.

> What this article is about, is asking people to stem off the
> desire to create something you named after yourself or your favorite
> author.

<snippage>

> Is that so outlandish?

Yes. The problem with is this attitude is that most open source
developers started out writing a piece of software for fun. This
includes Linus. He started writing a new kernel for fun. He could have
joined GNU and helped with HURD, or joined the BSD team. I don't see
why hackers were allowed to write something for fun 10 (or 16) years
ago and not today.

Their are reasons to start a new project that have nothing to do with
community. The code could be a mess. The code could be written in a
language that the new developer doesn't know or doesn't like. The
project could be headed in a direction that is incompatible with
features a developer would like.

This is open source. Developers are going to start new projects
because they feel like it. You don't have to like it, but deal with
it. You might as well complain about the rain.

--
sg

!DSPAM:462fea0484442933521233!