[nSLUG] linux questions

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 16:26:54 ADT 2007

On Mon Apr 9 22:33:53 ADT 2007 Michael Gillie wrote:

> My name is Michael, and I'm a brand new member.

Hello, I'm Daniel, and I also just joined this group.

Sorry for ressurecting this (slightly old) thread, but I throroughly
enjoyed reading it as an introduction to the main contributors to this
group, and thought it would be a good way to introduce myself.

I've recently moved to Halifax after living in Montreal for over 10 years.
Looking for a sys-admin type job, or somebody with a convincing business
plan -- I'm all ears!

> 1. How long have you been using linux?

Since 1993 - 14 years.  Kernel 1.2.x.

> 2. When you use linux, do you use a separate computer, or do you dual boot
> with Windows (That's if you even use Windows)?

All my computers boot Linux.  Windows sometimes gets installed for certain
games but that's been getting less frequent.  Usually the Windows install
stops working due to hardware changes, and ends up getting deleted.  I've
now got Windows in a VM but rarely use it (most recently I used it to play
with Google Sketchup - I hope they release a Linux version soon).

> 3. What is you favorite Distribution?

Slackware.  I've tried most of the major ones (Debian, RedHat, Mandrake,
gentoo, Ubuntu) over the years but I just keep coming back to Slackware.

> 4. If your linux distro has various versions and levels, please give that
> info.

10.2/11.0, and -current (eagerly anticipating 11.1!)

> 5. Do you use Open-Source software in both Windows and Linux?

Yes.  In Windows usually just Firefox and putty (so that I can get onto a
Linux machine as quickly as possible :)  I try to evangelize
OpenOffice.org for Windows users.

> 6. Where do you get most of your linux and open-source programs from?

Official slackware packages from .iso, home web page for source, or
linuxpackages.net.

> 7. Are there any stores OR servers, within the Maritimes,  that market /
> distribute linux related items and open-source software?

Not that I'm aware of.  I'd love to start one up with somebody!

> 8. If not, would you support a linux and open-source distributor within Nova
> Scotia, and the Maritimes?

Yes, assuming competitive prices (not much room for compromise on prices)
- for hardware, because it would be Linux compatible
- for free software (e.g. Slackware disc sets) primarily to support the
  authors
- for proprietary software on the odd occassion (e.g. games with Linux
  support), primarily to support the authors.
- for gadgets and knick knacks (a la ThinkGeek) because they're cool.
  Although one stuffed plush penguin is probably enough...

> 9. Finally, is download speed something you are willing to pay for, to get a
> better speed (having access to ALL programming whether the membership is
> paid, or free), or would you rather pay membership, and have a limited
> amount of access to a server's contents, whether you were a free level
> member,  minimum member, or maximum member? ***

No.  Anything worth getting is popular enough to be mirrored anyway.

Still, I have to comment on Ben Armstrong's response to this.  Ben wrote:

> Honestly?  We live in the land of bandwidth milk and honey in Halifax,
> with two excellent high speed providers at dirt cheap rates.  Would I
> pay more over and above their basic packages?  No.  I think they already
> deliver plenty for my needs.

Wow, as many as two providers, milk _and_ honey!

Well, you've obviously not lived in Montreal (or Ottawa).  The choice of
not two, but dozens of providers, in my experience less expensive and
faster than here.  (I have eastlink, and although the peak download speed
is faster than I've ever had before it's rare to achieve it.  DSL in
Montreal was slightly slower but much more consistently fast).

My mother in Ottawa gets Linux-friendly 3 MB/s DSL from the local freenet
(ncf.ca) for $30/month.

Still, can't really complain, it works very well.  We are lucky overall,
in Canada, when it comes to cheap Internet bandwidth.

> 10. Finally, how many other people do you know (outside this group) that are
> into Linux?

Dozens.  Mostly former co-workers.

Hello everybody, glad to make your (virtual) acquaintance!

-D.

!DSPAM:462fad1c75291555511425!