[nSLUG] Article on why monoculture gets picked

Ian Campbell ian at slu.ms
Wed Apr 25 15:39:35 ADT 2007

On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 02:39:07PM -0300, Jeff Warnica wrote:
> If I may elaborate on Donnalds thoughts.. Yes, you may have a reason
> to need another, doing something different HTTP server, but you have
> no reason to write  yet another all-singing-all-dancing HTTP
> server.... You may have a reason to have a very lightweight, minimal
> functional dns server, but you have no reason to write yet another
> craptastic does-everything DNS server.

What you want to accomplish may not be possible within the framework
of an existing application, you may have different ideas on how
something should be done, you may have personality conflicts with the
current dev team, and so on and so forth.

Even if none of those is the case, when did "because it's fun" cease
to be a valid reason to do something?