[nSLUG] Article on why monoculture gets picked

Jeff Warnica jeff at coherentnetworksolutions.com
Wed Apr 25 14:39:07 ADT 2007

Quoting Stephen Gregory <nslug at kernelpanic.ca>:

> On 25-Apr-07, at 6:46 , D G Teed wrote:
>
>> Who needs a different open
>> source web server or different DNS server?  These work very well, and just
>> about everyone using open source OSes uses them.
>

> That is utter foolishness. There are plenty of reasons to use something
> other then Apache. Lighttpd is lighter weight and easier to configure
> as it doesn't have all of the features of Apache. The ROOT DNS servers
> use a mix of software to prevent a single vulnerability from taking
> down the entire Internet. I use dnsmasq because it is considerably
> smaller then bind and fits on a embedded system.

Sure, totally. But within the realm of "general purpose" work, then
Apache is the http server to use. Bind (and possibly also Sendmail)
are perhaps never the right choice, being overly complex and solving
problems either real world people don't (and possibly never) should
care about (in the case of DNSSEC, or hell, even secondary/slave
servers), or haven't cared about for 20 years (I've never had to get
mail to/from a TOPS-20 system). But, they work, and they are generally
light enough that the overhead, I can just ignore. (Though, sendmail
isn't even installed by default with my distro of choice).

If I may elaborate on Donnalds thoughts.. Yes, you may have a reason
to need another, doing something different HTTP server, but you have
no reason to write  yet another all-singing-all-dancing HTTP
server.... You may have a reason to have a very lightweight, minimal
functional dns server, but you have no reason to write yet another
craptastic does-everything DNS server.

> The quote from the article is wrong. Forking over a disagreement in a
> license is why we have Xorg and  OpenSSH. In the case of Xorg the fork
> was absolutely necessary as XFree86 was no longer free.

Absolutely agree here. Though, arguably, the forks happened because
the current maintainer/s changed something more then the community
could handle.

!DSPAM:462f9d6b69231165943176!