[nSLUG] Article on why monoculture gets picked

Ian Campbell ian at slu.ms
Wed Apr 25 15:10:04 ADT 2007

On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 01:53:45PM -0400, Stephen Gregory wrote:

> That is utter foolishness. There are plenty of reasons to use
> something other then Apache. Lighttpd is lighter weight and easier to
> configure as it doesn't have all of the features of Apache.

Somewhat offtopic, but lighttpd is also somewhat buggy, unstable
and/or leaky under load in my experience. I'm not real convinced in
the competence of the developers either.

A better alternative is nginx. The only real catch with that is that
the english documentation is a bit lacking.

> The ROOT  DNS servers use a mix of software to prevent a single
> vulnerability  from taking down the entire Internet. I use dnsmasq
> because it is  considerably smaller then bind and fits on a embedded
> system.

Agreed, there are plenty of reasons for picking alternative software.
BIND has a history of security problems. I use djbdns at home because
it's simple and secure (and because I was already using publicfile, so
"the djb way" didn't hurt as much...), and powerdns at work because of
the SQL backends.

One size does not fit all.