[nSLUG] Article on why monoculture gets picked

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Wed Apr 25 14:53:45 ADT 2007

On 25-Apr-07, at 6:46 , D G Teed wrote:

> Who needs a different open
> source web server or different DNS server?  These work very well,
> and just
> about everyone using open source OSes uses them.

That is utter foolishness. There are plenty of reasons to use
something other then Apache. Lighttpd is lighter weight and easier to
configure as it doesn't have all of the features of Apache. The ROOT
DNS servers use a mix of software to prevent a single vulnerability
from taking down the entire Internet. I use dnsmasq because it is
considerably smaller then bind and fits on a embedded system.

The quote from the article is wrong. Forking over a disagreement in a
license is why we have Xorg and  OpenSSH. In the case of Xorg the
fork was absolutely necessary as XFree86 was no longer free.

--
sg

!DSPAM:462f95b265578095537501!