[nSLUG] InstallFest 2007.2 - April 22 Reminder

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Wed Apr 25 00:35:20 ADT 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-20 at 21:24 -0300, Jack Warkentin wrote:
> Hi Chris
>
> I will be bringing my AMD64-based laptop, on which I am currently
> using Kubuntu 6.06 LTS Dapper Drake. I also have a pre-release
> version of Debian Etch and Libranet 3.0 on the machine. Here are the
> things I would like help with.
>
> 1. How to get the X-server to respond to ctrl/alt-DEL,
> ctrl/alt-BACKSPACE, etc. It responds to ctrl/alt-PLUS and
> ctrl/alt-MINUS for changing the screen resolution, and ctrl/alt-Fi
> for changing consoles, but not the others. The machine has ATI video
> and I am running the fglrx driver.

CTRL-ALT-BKSPACE is controlled by the xorg.conf file in etc/X11

If DontZap is set to yes|true|1, then its disabled, change to "no" or
"false" to enable.

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option  "DontZap" "yes"
EndSection

CTRL-ALT-DEL is controlled by your /etc/initrd file
   see if this line is enabled

# What to do at the "Three Finger Salute".
ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t5 -r now

This will allow you to reboot when the machine.
It can to be disabled in the kernel  SC_DISABLE_REBOOT

There may be a bug with Backspace in XFCE that requires a .Xmodmap

> 2. How to get hibernate (ie suspend to disk) working properly. There
> is a shell script /etc/acpi/hibernate.sh which works, but it requires
> root privileges. I want to be able to get the machine to hibernate
> when the lid is closed and restart when the lid is opened.

As long as kernel supports it.  I only bothered with the autopoweroff,
but you can suspend to ram or standby.  Check out this link
How to suspend and hibernate a laptop under Linux

> 3. I would like to know how to configure gconf settings without having
> to use a text editor. Some months ago I looked for some kind of
> application that would allow this and was unsuccessful.

You might be able to use the gconftool for icebox.. I only played with
XFCE a bit, I used icebox at work, and there was a tool called roxy... I
think it will work with XFCE.

> 4. I have started using xfce because I don't like the monolithic
> nature of both gnome and kde. I have one big problem. So far I have
> found no way of setting up the ability to resize a window using the
> top edge. Resizing using the side and bottome edges and the corners
> works fine, but not using the top edge. I find this to be a real
> nuisance.

sounds manager related - unless its configurable, it may not be
implemented.  windowMaker allowed for a lot of fine adjustments, you may
want to google some sites or google groups (dejanews) there may be a
quick hack to add it.

Regards
Rich

!DSPAM:462ecc7a25131266611549!