[nSLUG] Image utility for Linux?

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Tue Apr 24 23:59:30 ADT 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-24 at 01:12 -0300, Mike Spencer wrote:
> Way back, I had a hand scanner on Windows 3.1.  Since it could only
> scan a narrow strip, the Logitech software included a utility to
> automagically align and paste strips together.  It worked surprisingly
> well for me when I did some 8x10 B&W photos.
>
> Now I have a flatbed scanner that works fine with SANE.  But I want to
> scan a portfolio of architectural line drawings that are just a tad
> too big for the scanner.
>
> Is there a Linux command line utility that will do this trick with two
> overlapping PBM images?  Or, for that matter, *any* Linux software that
> will do this for *any* image data format?
>
> The images are too big for manual manipulation on the screen and I'd
> like to keep the original large format for archival purposes.
>
> Failing that, is there a technical key word for doing this trick that
> would help me google?

stitching is the word :)

Here are some tools - panotools and autostitch (win only, runs in wine)

Panotools
http://www.all-in-one.ee/~dersch/

Some info
http://bloodgate.com/photo/panorama/autostitch.html

Autostitch
http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html
  written by two fellows in BC - very fast stitching

Gimp can help if you over lap the images and have a lot of memory. :)
If its black and white - maybe look into converting to SVG vector files.
It definitely would save on space. :)

Rich

> Shingling off even further onto the fog:
>
> If it were guaranteed that the two overlapping images were bit for bit
> identical in their overlapping areas, it would be more or less
> straightforward, albeit tedious, to write something with libpnm,
> especially considering that these are line drawings.  But it's
> reasonable to assume that the overlapping area will only be very
> similar, not identical, which would mean a fuzzy matching algorithm.
> Which is much harder.  Ho hum.
>
> Is there now a C algorithm (possibly well-known to everyone but me :-)
> for doing this sort of thing?  I recall talking to one of the genome
> guys at NRC back about 1992.  They were having a hard time doing this
> kind of matching between DNA fragments, where they wanted to find
> matches between fragments that were *nearly* the same.  So is there
> now some canned code that I could use if I want to try to write
> something?
>
> Or any other suggestions on how to accomplish this?
>

> Thanks,
> - Mike

!DSPAM:462ec41323254592581818!