[nSLUG] Re: Image utility for Linux?

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Tue Apr 24 03:45:49 ADT 2007

Tim> I don't have any personal experience with this, but I believe the
Tim> term you are looking for is "stitching".

Hah!  Good.  Thank you.  Turns out I have pnmstitch on my system but
no manpage so apropos didn't turn it up.  Feh.  Found the manpage on
the net.  A first try on 2550 by 3507 PMB images with 90% or more
overlap failed miserably but there's probably a way to make it work by
scripting the PBMNet tools.

Jason> I believe what you want is called "image registration".

Hm, okay...google-dy-google...

Yeah, that's what it's called, alright.  Comes with extra math, a side
order of complicated and fries. :-) Lots of stuff out there for
astronomy and medical imaging that's meant to cope with way harder
problems than mine.  These people:

    http://www.math.mu-luebeck.de/safir/FLIRT-Download/

for example, seem keen to have you try their software.  I'll take a
run at my problem with pnmstitch before exploring any  big software
packages.

Thanks,
- Mike

                                                           /V\