[nSLUG] Image utility for Linux?

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Tue Apr 24 01:12:53 ADT 2007

Way back, I had a hand scanner on Windows 3.1.  Since it could only
scan a narrow strip, the Logitech software included a utility to
automagically align and paste strips together.  It worked surprisingly
well for me when I did some 8x10 B&W photos.

Now I have a flatbed scanner that works fine with SANE.  But I want to
scan a portfolio of architectural line drawings that are just a tad
too big for the scanner.

Is there a Linux command line utility that will do this trick with two
overlapping PBM images?  Or, for that matter, *any* Linux software that
will do this for *any* image data format?

The images are too big for manual manipulation on the screen and I'd
like to keep the original large format for archival purposes.

Failing that, is there a technical key word for doing this trick that
would help me google?

Shingling off even further onto the fog:

If it were guaranteed that the two overlapping images were bit for bit
identical in their overlapping areas, it would be more or less
straightforward, albeit tedious, to write something with libpnm,
especially considering that these are line drawings.  But it's
reasonable to assume that the overlapping area will only be very
similar, not identical, which would mean a fuzzy matching algorithm.
Which is much harder.  Ho hum.

Is there now a C algorithm (possibly well-known to everyone but me :-)
for doing this sort of thing?  I recall talking to one of the genome
guys at NRC back about 1992.  They were having a hard time doing this
kind of matching between DNA fragments, where they wanted to find
matches between fragments that were *nearly* the same.  So is there
now some canned code that I could use if I want to try to write
something?

Or any other suggestions on how to accomplish this?

Thanks,
- Mike

                                                           /V\

!DSPAM:462d84fa289252355514819!