[nSLUG] Re: Ubuntu 7.04 has Landed

Ryan Ernst rernst-lists at warflame.ca
Mon Apr 23 09:00:20 ADT 2007

On 4/22/07, Tom Daly <tom_d at chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:
> > Today's Topics:
> > Message: 1
> > Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007
> > From: "Rick Burdon" <burdonrc at gmail.com>
> > Subject: [nSLUG] Ubuntu 7.04 has Landed

> I, otoh, tried to upgrade from 6.* and am now lost in neverland.  My
> adventures are chronicled at
>
> http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3082184.0
>
> just in case anyone can help me figure out what to do next . . .

Did you try to upgrade directly from 6.06, or from 6.10 ?

What's the contents of your /etc/apt/sources.list file?

I've rescued similar problems before, but it's a long, long cycle of
apt-get upgrade, apt-get -f install, apt-get dist-upgrade. You may be
better off reinstalling -- it will probably take less time that way.
If you do so, be sure to back up your home directory first. But, if
you're up for a challenge...

If you want to try to rescue the system, you should probably reboot to
clear the file locks if you haven't already (not the best way to do
so, but certainly convenient).

Try reinstalling the kubuntu-desktop package first. I've found that
removing large, nonessential packages with many dependencies
(openoffice is the biggest one that comes to mind) is a strategy: they
only create noise during the upgrade process, and you can reinstall
them later.

A strategy to try might be to upgrade just the packages relating to
apt, then trying to dist-upgrade everything else.

--
Ryan Ernst
"Dum spiro, contego" / "While I breathe, I defend"

http://shadowlife.ca

!DSPAM:462ca152258744307919385!