[nSLUG] InstallFest 2007.2 - April 22 Reminder

Jack Warkentin jwark at eastlink.ca
Fri Apr 20 21:24:37 ADT 2007

Hi Chris

I will be bringing my AMD64-based laptop, on which I am currently
using Kubuntu 6.06 LTS Dapper Drake. I also have a pre-release
version of Debian Etch and Libranet 3.0 on the machine. Here are the
things I would like help with.

1. How to get the X-server to respond to ctrl/alt-DEL,
ctrl/alt-BACKSPACE, etc. It responds to ctrl/alt-PLUS and
ctrl/alt-MINUS for changing the screen resolution, and ctrl/alt-Fi
for changing consoles, but not the others. The machine has ATI video
and I am running the fglrx driver.

2. How to get hibernate (ie suspend to disk) working properly. There
is a shell script /etc/acpi/hibernate.sh which works, but it requires
root privileges. I want to be able to get the machine to hibernate
when the lid is closed and restart when the lid is opened.

3. I would like to know how to configure gconf settings without having
to use a text editor. Some months ago I looked for some kind of
application that would allow this and was unsuccessful.

4. I have started using xfce because I don't like the monolithic
nature of both gnome and kde. I have one big problem. So far I have
found no way of setting up the ability to resize a window using the
top edge. Resizing using the side and bottome edges and the corners
works fine, but not using the top edge. I find this to be a real
nuisance.

Regards

Jack

Jack Warkentin, phone 902-404-0457, email jwark at eastlink.ca