[nSLUG] Debian Etch, Iceweasel and Google Sync bookmarks

Jeff Warnica jeff at coherentnetworksolutions.com
Sat Apr 14 14:20:32 ADT 2007

On Sat, 2007-04-14 at 01:53 -0400, Stephen Gregory wrote:
> On 13-Apr-07, at 21:54 , rejean chamberland wrote:

> > The only problem, so far, is when I try to install the Google sync
> > bookmarks in Ice weasel.
>
> > Someone suggested to get a Ubuntu repository and install Firefox.
>

> This might work today, but what about in six months when you need to
> upgrade Firefox/iceweasel to patch a critical vulnerability? You are
> better off solving the problem with iceweasel. Iceweasel is a close
> fork of firefox and should work with all the extentions. If an
> extention does not work it is likely a bug that needs fixing. If you
> can't find a solution on any of the forums by the end of the weekend
> you should file bugs with both Debian and the google sync developers.
> Please check to insure bugs have not already been filed.

I believe that extensions are tested as being "installable" via two
keys: application GIUD and version. Perhaps this is not the best
possible mechanism, but thats what it is. Licensing and arrogance aside,
its a violation of the plain language of "GUID" that iceweasel would be
the same as Firefox.

I /think/ that when FF 3 (or 4) moves to running on top of XULRunner,
extensions will be keyed on XULRunner, rather then FF. And/or the whole
"can I install" question will be generalized, in general. Meh, anyway.
If at that point Debian wants to continue shipping something that is not
firefox, they can build it on a very close common base. So, in other
words, this problem of Debians making will solve itself, to some extent.
I have no idea the google sync devs opinion on this, but if it was me,
making - or even allowing - my FF extension to work with something that
was not FF, however trivial that may be, would be pretty low down on my
list of things to fix.

Anyway, FF is self-updating. It would be 5 minutes of effort, once, to
install the real version direct from mozilla.org, and have it kept up to
date.

!DSPAM:46211107208121693388163!