[nSLUG] Finding linux products and software

Jonathan Anderson jonathan.anderson at ieee.org
Sat Apr 14 12:17:04 ADT 2007

On April 13, 2007, D G Teed wrote:
> When I saw the forum notice by Ubuntu developers that they
> were going to ship by a gold date rather than fix a kernel problem
> that had alsa sound busted for a good percentage of users
> (despite the pleas of dozens of beta testers and an existing fix),
> I started to wonder what drove their priorities.

Yeah, this is starting to get to me... halfway between Edgy and Feisty, while
running the bleeding edge, I said to myself, "never again... in the future,
I'm going to stick with the latest stable version." Now, however, FGLRX
updates mean that my laptop won't resume from suspend, and there's no way
this will be addressed before Feisty is final (which is within the next week,
I believe). So, I'll be stuck with the bleeding edge again.

A predictable release cycle is nice for some reasons, but I'm really starting
to come back around to Debian's "I'll release it when it's ready" approach. I
might want cake at 1:00, but it's better to have cake at 1:10 than cake mix
at 1:00.

Now my big question is, how much hassle will it be to go from Ubuntu Feisty to
Debian unstable (which is more stable, unstable or testing?)?

#!/jon
--
Jonathan Anderson

jonathan.anderson at ieee.org