[nSLUG] Finding linux products and software

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 15:04:08 ADT 2007

On 4/13/07, Bill Davidson <billdavidson at eastlink.ca> wrote:

> Hi:
>
> On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 22:26 -0300, Dop Ganger wrote:
> > Linux works fine with older hardware. I'm currently running an HP
> PA-Risc
> > 715/100XC (http://www.openpa.net/systems/715.html) which dates back to
> > somewhere around 1995.
>
> So Linux not only runs on older hardware, it runs on older non-x86
> hardware!

I have some opportunities to bring dinosaurs home, but I can't afford to run
the power bill for most of them.  The exception are the Sparc pizza box
shaped servers and workstations, which typically run on a power supply
rated at around 170 watts max.

Anyway, I have a sparcstation 5 (85Hz), which is from around
1994 or so, running a test version of Debian etch (2.6.18 kernel) with
mailman, mysql, bind,  and some more stuff.  I like the delay after the
login is accepted and the appearance of the shell prompt.  Reminds me
of the 70's and 80's when you were aware there was something that had
to happen between validation and getting the prompt.

--Donald

!DSPAM:461fc61a133795211011120!