[nSLUG] Finding linux products and software

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Fri Apr 13 13:06:05 ADT 2007

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007, Bill Davidson wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 22:26 -0300, Dop Ganger wrote:
>> Linux works fine with older hardware. I'm currently running an HP PA-Risc
>> 715/100XC (http://www.openpa.net/systems/715.html) which dates back to
>> somewhere around 1995.
>
> So Linux not only runs on older hardware, it runs on older non-x86
> hardware!

Yes. I just scored a D370 (http://www.openpa.net/systems/ultralight.html -
calling it ultralight must have been someone's idea of a joke) so I'll be
upgrading soon, although still not into the current milllenium.

> I still have a fondness for those 700-series HP-9000's -- I
> first learned UNIX on one of those running HP/UX.  Of course, I never
> saw the box in question, just logged in from terminals (PC's in a lab
> running terminal emulator software, and from home over a 2400bps dial-up
> line and some DOS-based comm program).

I first saw them at Swansea University in 1991 when they were Apollos
(and, in the current spirit of boasting how long one has been running
Linux, Alan Cox taught me Unix on the Pyramid there - with both att and
bsd universes!). I rather liked them at the time, as they had a certain
solidity about them that PCs don't, and tended to have extremely long
uptimes. The 21 inch CRTs were quite nice, too - as opposed to the 9600
baud 80x25 terminals I was stuck using, connected to the easy-to-crash
Spiderport terminal servers.

> I liked HP/UX, except for the compiler.  Actually, it was probably an
> excellent compiler, but I was used to Borland Turbo C (!) and I found
> the man page for the compiler quite daunting.  Out of curiosity, why are
> you running Linux on that box?  Did it come without an OS?

Linux runs markedly faster than HPUX, and there are more packages
available for Debian on it. When I got it I didn't have enough RAM to run
11/11i on it, so I decided I might as well put Linux on it.

If you have (or indeed, anyone else on the list has) a hankering for an
HPUX box... I'm probably going to be dumping a J series box
(http://www.openpa.net/systems/j-class.html) with an enclosure to go with
it in order to make room for the D370. Currently has Debian installed,
from memory, but I have HPUX disks kicking around somewhere. Be warned
that it also doubles as a fairly powerful space heater, though.

Cheers... Dop.

!DSPAM:461faa73127373493269599!