[nSLUG] Finding linux products and software

Bill Davidson billdavidson at eastlink.ca
Fri Apr 13 12:30:58 ADT 2007

Hi:

On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 22:26 -0300, Dop Ganger wrote:
> Linux works fine with older hardware. I'm currently running an HP PA-Risc
> 715/100XC (http://www.openpa.net/systems/715.html) which dates back to
> somewhere around 1995.

So Linux not only runs on older hardware, it runs on older non-x86
hardware!  I still have a fondness for those 700-series HP-9000's -- I
first learned UNIX on one of those running HP/UX.  Of course, I never
saw the box in question, just logged in from terminals (PC's in a lab
running terminal emulator software, and from home over a 2400bps dial-up
line and some DOS-based comm program).  I liked HP/UX, except for the
compiler.  Actually, it was probably an excellent compiler, but I was
used to Borland Turbo C (!) and I found the man page for the compiler
quite daunting.  Out of curiosity, why are you running Linux on that
box?  Did it come without an OS?

--
Bill Davidson <billdavidson at eastlink.ca>

!DSPAM:461fa233125501376012327!