[nSLUG] Finding linux products and software

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Fri Apr 13 09:56:49 ADT 2007

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 09:38:18 -0300
"Michael Gillie" <mikegpc at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was looking at Debian 4... MY LORD!!! The sheer number of CD's required is
> out of this world!!!! Can you point me in the direction of a SOLID Debian
> with a small number of installation disks, yet loaded with programs??

Really?  It's not hard to find.  The "CD ISO Images" page linked
directly from the sidebar of the www.debian.org home page says:

Download a minimal bootable CD image[1] (or a couple of floppy disk
images). Are you sure you really need the full CDs? You can just get
the basic installation system - it will download the rest of the
distribution if and when needed during the installation.

[1] http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/

Did you miss this?  Don't be mistaken, the "minimal image" doesn't mean
you're not getting a full install.  It just means the base install is
all that is on the CD and the rest is installed directly over the network
after you've made your package selection.

But if you somehow can't use the netinst (e.g. if you have a poorly
supported network card that isn't autodetected and configured during
the install) you don't really need all the CD's.  Linked from the same
page is this FAQ[2] which explains:

[2] http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#which-cd

Ben
 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca