[nSLUG] Finding linux products and software

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 09:47:35 ADT 2007

You only need 1 CDROM if you have network access during the install.
Most people use the netinstall version of the installer.  Check out
the information on the installation options carefully on the Debian site.

Anyway, the sheer number of CDs is relational to the sheer
number of packages!

--Donald

On 4/13/07, Michael Gillie <mikegpc at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was looking at Debian 4... MY LORD!!! The sheer number of CD's required
> is out of this world!!!! Can you point me in the direction of a SOLID Debian
> with a small number of installation disks, yet loaded with programs??
>
> On 4/13/07, D G Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 4/13/07, Ben Armstrong <synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca > wrote:
> > >

> > > <shameless plug for my own project>
> > >
> > > This is something I feel strongly about.  That's why I'm involved with
> > > the Debian-custom project which aims to make "Custom Debian
> > > Distributions" (CDDs[1]) that are entirely *within* Debian and not
> > > forks,
> > > of which my Debian Jr.[2] project is one example.  This is also why
> > > I'm
> > > very excited about the Debian-live[3] project which allows the Jr.
> > > project
> > > to make "pure Debian" live CDs[4] tailored to suit our needs.
> > >

> > Yes, there is a difference between Debian based and Debian
> > derived.  With "derived" you can't rely on installing packages from
> > standard Debian .deb packages and repositories.  With "based", you
> > are building on capabilities of Debian and maintain all of the benefits.
> > This is what I find deceiving about products like Xandros which mention
> > the goodness of Debian and imply you will get thousands of packages,
> > which simply isn't true if any package touches the KDE and other
> > dependencies.
> >
> > If we have a repeat of the kernel frozen in the Debian installer, I'd
> > like
> > to see something like an installer project to push things along.  I
> > don't
> > think Debian devs realize how much this issue impacts site adoption.
> > It certainly did at my workplace, and I can see it happening in many
> > corporate environments.
> >
> > It is a pretty blunt evaluation process: the CD based installer can't
> > see the disks, move on to the next distro candidate.
> > The next candidate can see the installer target disks?
> > Oh, that's a good candidate of Linux for us!
> >
> > --Donald

>  !DSPAM:461f79c2114835438269869!
>

> !DSPAM:461f79c2114835438269869!

!DSPAM:461f7be9116421585610901!