[nSLUG] Finding linux products and software

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 09:37:35 ADT 2007

On 4/13/07, Michael Gillie <mikegpc at gmail.com> wrote:

> The abilities of Ubuntu are astounding to say the least. I love Ubuntu,
> it's the easiest, and most economical linux yet for me.

Getting it going quickly is something Ubuntu does well, but I think you
should
include an evaluation of living with it and upgrading it before deciding how
economical it is.  Live with it for a year or two, or try to get the
feedback
of that sort of experience on the user forums.

When I ran 5.1 on a test desktop, the kernel would be updated every 2 weeks
or so, and there were always dozens of updates per week.  That sort
of thing is unacceptable in a production server environment.  Perhaps they
have addressed that in the 6.x Server version - again evidence of the
maturing process I'm talking about.  Ubuntu will probably get there,
but it is still too soon for me, and I still have issues with the breadth of
packages they can support.

--Donald

!DSPAM:461f7990114087983473696!