[nSLUG] Finding linux products and software

Michael Gillie mikegpc at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 09:36:04 ADT 2007

On 4/13/07, Ben Armstrong <synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca> wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 08:13:23 -0300
> "D G Teed" <donald.teed at gmail.com> wrote:
> > But
> > there are hundreds of other splinter distros
> > that I'm not convinced really need to exist and only
> > weaken what could be a stronger team somewhere else.
>
> <shameless plug for my own project>
>
> This is something I feel strongly about.  That's why I'm involved with
> the Debian-custom project which aims to make "Custom Debian
> Distributions" (CDDs[1]) that are entirely *within* Debian and not forks,
> of which my Debian Jr.[2] project is one example.  This is also why I'm
> very excited about the Debian-live[3] project which allows the Jr. project
> to make "pure Debian" live CDs[4] tailored to suit our needs.
>
> Anyone who would like to talk about any of these things more in person and
> see them in action is welcome to come to the upcoming Dal-ACM
> Installfest[5][6]
> on April 22 from 1:00 pm to 6:00 pm in the atrium (bottom floor) of the
> Dalhousie Computer Science Building, 6050 University Avenue.  I will be
> there at a table with a sign labelled "Debian live CD" to do demos and
> chat.
>
> [1] http://wiki.debian.org/CustomDebian
> [2] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianJr
> [3] http://debian-live.alioth.debian.org/
> [4] http://lists.debian.org/debian-jr/2007/03/msg00023.html
> [5] http://nslug.ns.ca/pipermail/nslug/2007-March/010026.html
> [6] http://nslug.ns.ca/pipermail/nslug/2007-April/010047.html
>
> </shameless plug for my own project>
>
> Ben
>
> --
> ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
> \`'  Debian   http://www.debian.org    synrg at debian.org
>   `          [ gpg 395C F3A4 35D3 D247 1387 2D9E 5A94 F3CA 0B27 13C8 ]
>              [ pgp 7F DA 09 4B BA 2C 0D E0 1B B1 31 ED C6 A9 39 4F ]

> I like the idea behind debian Jr. I had initialli introduced a kid i know
to Mepis, Linspire, Mandriva One, Mandrake Move, and a number of other "live
cd" versions of linux. He caught on really fast, and blew my mind away with
what he learned in such a short amount of time. Kids can be brilliant. All i
say, is be careful what you arm them with. I gave the kid too much, too
fast, and he soon learned how to hack. No denying the truth, the kid was too
smart, lol.

!DSPAM:461f7935112721363114308!