[nSLUG] Finding linux products and software

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 09:31:20 ADT 2007

On 4/13/07, Ben Armstrong <synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca> wrote:

> <shameless plug for my own project>
>
> This is something I feel strongly about.  That's why I'm involved with
> the Debian-custom project which aims to make "Custom Debian
> Distributions" (CDDs[1]) that are entirely *within* Debian and not forks,
> of which my Debian Jr.[2] project is one example.  This is also why I'm
> very excited about the Debian-live[3] project which allows the Jr. project
> to make "pure Debian" live CDs[4] tailored to suit our needs.

Yes, there is a difference between Debian based and Debian
derived.  With "derived" you can't rely on installing packages from
standard Debian .deb packages and repositories.  With "based", you
are building on capabilities of Debian and maintain all of the benefits.
This is what I find deceiving about products like Xandros which mention
the goodness of Debian and imply you will get thousands of packages,
which simply isn't true if any package touches the KDE and other
dependencies.

If we have a repeat of the kernel frozen in the Debian installer, I'd like
to see something like an installer project to push things along.  I don't
think Debian devs realize how much this issue impacts site adoption.
It certainly did at my workplace, and I can see it happening in many
corporate environments.

It is a pretty blunt evaluation process: the CD based installer can't
see the disks, move on to the next distro candidate.
The next candidate can see the installer target disks?
Oh, that's a good candidate of Linux for us!

--Donald

!DSPAM:461f7819111992096511060!