[nSLUG] Finding linux products and software

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 08:13:23 ADT 2007

On 4/13/07, D G Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/13/07, Stephen Gregory <nslug at kernelpanic.ca> wrote:
> >

> > On 12-Apr-07, at 20:18 , D G Teed wrote:
> >
> > > Mark Shuttleworth looks at these
> > > existing distros, and wants a faster pace of change, and other
> > > features,
> > > real soon, not 3 years out.
> >

> > You are being disingenuous. Mark Shuttleworth clearly agrees with
> > much of the philosophy behind Debian. He funded Ubuntu

I should clarify something.  I picked Ubuntu as an example
of a mid-life reforming distro, not as an example of something
that should never have been.

Although I'd never install their server version right now, I have
the kids using it, and I will watch its progress as it matures.

Better examples of distros that were needlessly spun off are
whitebox and Cent OS.  They were both doing the same
thing.  So eventually they realized it and merged.
That's good because we only need one thing like that
and this way it will be stronger.  But
there are hundreds of other splinter distros
that I'm not convinced really need to exist and only
weaken what could be a stronger team somewhere else.

--Donald

!DSPAM:461f65d5107341773092649!