[nSLUG] Finding linux products and software

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 07:54:20 ADT 2007

On 4/13/07, Stephen Gregory <nslug at kernelpanic.ca> wrote:

> On 12-Apr-07, at 20:18 , D G Teed wrote:
>
> > Mark Shuttleworth looks at these
> > existing distros, and wants a faster pace of change, and other
> > features,
> > real soon, not 3 years out.
>

> You are being disingenuous. Mark Shuttleworth clearly agrees with
> much of the philosophy behind Debian. He funded Ubuntu to produce a
> system more focussed on the needs of average users. Obviously he felt
> that he could not achieve these goals within Debian. Ubuntu does not
> ship bleeding edge software.

That is a matter of opinion.

Ubuntu strives to ship every 6 months to
> correspond with the stable releases of Gnome.

I have no idea what "ship" means. I never get software that way from them.
They have repository updates very frequently in my experience.  Too
frequently
in my experience.

Ubuntu also has
> committed to the long term support of 6.06: 3 years for the desktop
> version, 5 years for the server. Other releases of Ubuntu will be
> supported for 18 months. Like Debian Ubuntu also tries to maintain an
> easy upgrade path from version to version.

Remember how I said the distro would mature at this mid-age of 3 to 5 years?
That is what those changes are all about.  These are improvements
that are part of the maturing process.  But as I mentioned before, there
was no repository based upgrade path to 6.x from 5.x, so I'm not
impressed.  It was CD/DVD media or nothing, and the user experience
on forums showed it was either documented poorly or QA'ed poorly.

--Donald

!DSPAM:461f615e104151074934108!