[nSLUG] Finding linux products and software

Ian Campbell ian at slu.ms
Thu Apr 12 23:48:08 ADT 2007

On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 11:50:54PM -0230, Jonathan Anderson wrote:
> I've found that such an upgrade requires changing the sources list and then
> aptitude dist-upgrade'ing several times. The first go gets 60-70% of the
> packages, the next gets you to 95%, and the last go or two finish the job.

The procedure for upgrading Debian 3.1 to 4.0 is something like that,
yeah.

apt-get install aptitude
change sources list
aptitude update
aptitude upgrade
aptitude dist-upgrade
aptitude update

... I think you have to add initrd-tools in there somewhere too. I
forget exactly.

> There can be some very thorny dependancy issues, so that fact that it suceeds
> at all is quite impressive (and is, of course, owed to the sweetness that is
> Debian). The only real problem that I've seen is when a file gets moved from
> one package (e.g. ubuntu-docs) to another (e.g. kubuntu-docs). Then aptitude
> can really get its proverbial knickers in a knot, requiring manual
> intervention. I don't know if Debian or Red Hat could handle that, though
> (other than not moving files from package to package).

Yeah, I'm not impressed with RPM. I'm sure there's some proper way to
do it though.