[nSLUG] Finding linux products and software

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 23:25:28 ADT 2007

On 4/12/07, Jason Kenney <jdkenney at gmail.com> wrote:

> That is an excellent point. I would also like to add that I think the
> world missed a great opportunity for mankind when the talented
> founders of Google decided to forge their own new company, instead of
> joining the existing mature businesses of Microsoft, HP or Sun.

Well, for that matter, Ian Murdock has joined Sun and he has the potential
to do good there.  Daniel Robbins worked for Microsoft for 8 months
and is now CTO for another company.  I can't say that has done the world
any good, but I don't know.  HP is making some goodness
for Linux (and for profit of course) by offering support for 3 major
distros on its servers.

But in general, the above argument has no deterministic aspect, only a
weakly parallel aspect.  An entity like Debian is not as statically
determined by leadership which never changes as with the case
if something like Microsoft.  If a person was patient and determined,
they could make some influence within Debian.  At a corporate
organization, it doesn't work like that very often.

By the way, there are other ways to have discussions than to look for
a statement you can pick at and take your shot.  I'm afraid you are missing
the whole point of what I'm saying.  You mentioned once that my language
was too vague.  Is that a problem for you, as you are only looking to
identify
what side I take on an issue so you can counter it?  Seems like a debating
society technique, not a true discussion with real depth.

--Donald

!DSPAM:461eea1a76158822611832!