[nSLUG] Finding linux products and software

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 18:18:21 ADT 2007

On 4/12/07, Jason Kenney <jdkenney at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/12/07, Ian Campbell <ian at slu.ms> wrote:
> Your language is very vague. Many things are "potentially" something.
> I mean, you might say I could be wrong or correct. That would be quite
> hard to argue with!

I mean that Gentoo could have been a Linux flavor of FreeBSD with ports.
It would have been relatively solid.  Instead, the developers have no
interest
in moving package updates along conservatively.  The minute a package
update happens upstream, they want it in unstable.  Then it is QA'ed
by people who don't really QA, but keep changing their chosen tool
(say an imap daemon) until they have something that compiles and works.
Two weeks later it appears in stable branch and unheard of problems appear,
packages fail to compile, libtools fail to link, or important ewarnings
fly by and you've hosed your service without knowing why, etc.

I discussed a host of issues with Gentoo Devs and users on their Forums
(see "Why I'm dropping recommendation of Gentoo" if you are interested),
and many people agreed with me.  I was nominated to join the user reps
or whatever they called it, after a thread I started 3 years ago continued
to live and
got notice (I declined as I have long since dumped Gentoo).

Recently there have been a good number of developers leaving, according
to forum items in Gentoo Chat.

--Donald

!DSPAM:461ea22059901448617237!