[nSLUG] Finding linux products and software

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Thu Apr 12 17:46:45 ADT 2007

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 16:04:05 -0300
"Jason Kenney" <jdkenney at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Er ...  I didn't hear Donald say "... to maintain systems that haven't had
> > a major upgrade in 3 to 5 years".  Are you saying that after 5 years I
> > should dump all my old hardware and start fresh?
> >
> > Ben
>
> No, my point was just that you should anticipate your need, and choose
> accordingly. And if someone is having problems with things that were
> easily anticipated, he chose poorly (I love that quote from the third
> Indian Jones movie!). So in summary: choose wisely and avoid a grisly
> death from the instant aging of a thousand years.

But that doesn't apply to what you said here, which is what I was primarily
responding to (I don't know anything about Gentoo, so I edited that bit
out).

"Jason Kenney" <jdkenney at gmail.com> wrote:
> In the first case, Ubuntu has a VERY clearly described, and adhered to
> release cycle. They are extremely clear about how long they continue
> to support older distributions they have released (hint: not 3 to 5
> years). If you don't like that, and still want to support the same
> system in 3 to 5 years, then well, you can't get any more clear about
> that up front than the Ubuntu people have been.

What does having 3 to 5 year old systems have to do with the length of
support Ubuntu promises for their distributions?  I have run Debian and
Ubuntu both on systems that old.  Ubuntu does not say "if you are running
a five year old system we will not support you".  They *do* say "if you
are running a distribution we released five years ago we will not support
you."

So while you do, in fact, make a good point about anticipating needs and
choosing wisely, you picked an example to back it up that did not apply
to the situation at hand (unless Donald was indeed talking about
continuing to milk along to its ultimate death a 5 year old distribution,
which wasn't entirely clear to me from the start, but I suspected not).

Ben
 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
 \`'  Debian   http://www.debian.org    synrg at debian.org

!DSPAM:461e9aba58001248868353!