[nSLUG] Finding linux products and software

Jason Kenney jdkenney at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 15:18:54 ADT 2007

Hi,

On 4/11/07, D G Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/11/07, Michael Gillie <mikegpc at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I find that going all hell west and crooked trying to find linux products
> and related software is a real pain in the back side, and I knew that there
> was a multiple flavored linux server out there, by gosh and by golly i'd be
> the first to be johny on the spot.
>
> I've been through a number of Linux distros looking for the perfect thing.
> I've noticed that Ubuntu and Gentoo, roughly the same age, have lost some
> users due to the bumps along the way for maintaining the 3 to 5 year old
> systems
> against some backwards-compatibility related issues.  It seems to be a
> pattern: distros cross this medium age and have hard decisions to make
> as things move forward.

I have no sympathy for someone who chooses to use Ubuntu or Gentoo and
gets detered by having "a bump along the way to maintain 3 to 5 year
old systems".

In the second case, if you are finding that in any way "hard", you
should not be using a distribution where you compile every program
with custom flags that you wish to install. I've been told Gentoo has
some very good packaging utilities, which may make it useful for
something more than a toy, perhaps as a means to build custom end
products somehow, but I otherwise find the whole idea ridiculous (of
course there are many people who disagree with me).

In the first case, Ubuntu has a VERY clearly described, and adhered to
release cycle. They are extremely clear about how long they continue
to support older distributions they have released (hint: not 3 to 5
years). If you don't like that, and still want to support the same
system in 3 to 5 years, then well, you can't get any more clear about
that up front than the Ubuntu people have been.

Tough love.

Jason

!DSPAM:461e79c443484741111527!