[nSLUG] Re: On irrelevant linux questions and taking things seriously

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Wed Apr 11 23:20:55 ADT 2007

I won't quote any of the recent posts lest the author think, wrongly,
that I'm taking a  personal run at the individual. But WRT the mention
of "professional" vs. "hobbyist"...

The notion of "professional" does not partition the universe into two
parts -- "professional" and the remainder "hobbyist".  I'm not a
professional programmer altho my name is on the official alumni list
for Project Athena.  I'm not a professional auto mechanic altho I did
it full time for several years.  I'm not a profession millwright, nor
farmer nor carpenter nor biochemist but I have varying chops for all
of those.

       A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
       invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write
       a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort
       the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone,
       solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program
       a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die
       gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

                             -- Robert Heinlein "Time Enough For Love"

So please don't dis and condescendingly dismiss everyone who isn't a
"professional" as a "hobbyist".

I encounter this same thing on the blacksmithing list (and I do think
of myself as a profession artist-blacksmith.) A few individuals seem
to think that if one isn't running a metalworking business, not
"summoning the aspect and taking on the attribute" of a business
operator, one must be a mere hobbyist.

If you do what you love, if you take your Bucky Fuller antientropic
imperative to the workbench, if you follow any one of a number of wise
people's guides to living, you probably won't fit easily into *any*
"professional" role but neither will what you do be easily dismissed
as a hobby.

There.  Now I feel better. :-)

ObLinux: I erred in response to one Michael Gillie's questions: I do use
an old, closed-src version of Netscape with Linux.

- Mike

                                                           /V\

!DSPAM:461d9871238731746972571!