[nSLUG] On irrelevant linux questions and taking things seriously

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Wed Apr 11 18:47:49 ADT 2007

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 16:28:39 -0300
"Michael Gillie" <mikegpc at gmail.com> wrote:

> WHOAH!!! I'm a little shocked by all the responses. Let me clarify a few
> thinks about my survey. This is not REALLY a market study. It's a personal
> interest.

OK.  The morning didn't start well for me, so I got a little too heated.
Let's get back to what you were aiming at, then ...

> Then, i now get the drift that very few would pay for a service
> that they can very easily get freely. At this point, i am not really
> interested in my own distro, but trying to find people who would truly
> appreciate a server that would not carry just one STYLE of FLAVOR of
> linux/minix/*nix, but get as many as possible in one spot. People would not
> be asked to pay for the products or the services, as i too, agree that it
> would be outrageous. However, what about donating funds to the development
> and expansion of such a service?

Well, I wouldn't be personally interested in such a thing.  There is
http://distrowatch.com/ if you just want to go "distro shopping".  Or else
once you've found a distro you like, sticking close with them and getting
the support directly is going to serve you much better than some "portal"
or intermediary between you and the distro community & support channels.

> I find that going all hell west and crooked trying to find linux products
> and related software is a real pain in the back side, and I knew that there
> was a multiple flavored linux server out there, by gosh and by golly i'd be
> the first to be johny on the spot.

Which distros have you tried?  What sort of software are you looking for?
I have found it not terribly difficult to find what I want most of the time.
It tends to be all included in the distro itself.

Ben
 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
 \`'  Debian   http://www.debian.org    synrg at debian.org

!DSPAM:461d5789220741838346144!