[nSLUG] On irrelevant linux questions and taking things seriously

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 18:16:51 ADT 2007

I don't have issues with what LUGs are about.  They are certainly
not marketing engines, but the O.P. was attempting to do
research here which was marketing and serious, and that
is where I felt we could up the quality a notch.  I felt Ben's
initial comment was good in that respect.

I do depend on Linux in my work, and so perhaps this influences my
perspective.  I see the gap between corporate IT management, and
concepts/utilization of open source, and it is an amazing chasm.
The IT management view is probably a better match for a student looking
at marketing potential than the hobbyist view (unless there is
some market potential in hobbyists, but I expect any store like
Greenlyph satisfies that by simply selling PCs without Windows).

I don't mean to put down IT hobbyists by that remark - I just mean
this isn't the main group that would have cash to shell out for anything
someone wants to market.  After all, part of the point of open source
is to find ways to solve problems without spending money on
hardware and service fees, and hobbyists are really the
developers, integrators and testers on the avante garde, right
down to the question of how little of a server can I get
the latest software running.  I'm right in there with you guys
on that.

I guess part of my issue is that other mailing lists I use for information
do not contain the types of content you'd find in web forums.
If someone was to make an nSLUG forum, I'd be interested
in participating there, and I could even be silly on occassion.

--Donald

!DSPAM:461d5049216471768670314!