[nSLUG] linux questions

Robert Ashley rb.ashley at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 17:07:53 ADT 2007

On 4/9/07, Michael Gillie <mikegpc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My name is Michael, and I'm a brand new member.
> I am currently in the IT Program hosted by the NSCC.
> Right now, i have some questions or a survey (if you want to call it that
> :-p )  that i am aiming at every member who is willing to answer. If this
> poses a problem, please let me know.
>
> I am trying to understand a few key elements, for a school and personal
> project. I am, myself, like you are, a  linux user, and would swear by it
> alone if i were not on a wireless network, and if my school work did not
> require Windows XP to run.
>
> So, without further ado, i will ask my questions... (you do NOT need to
> answer them if you feel uncomfortable with them. :-)
>

> 1. How long have you been using linux?

2yrs

2. When you use linux, do you use a separate computer, or do you dual boot
> with Windows (That's if you even use Windows)?

separate

3. What is you favorite Distribution?

Debian testing

4. If your linux distro has various versions and levels, please give that
> info.

stable, testing, experiment

5. Do you use Open-Source software in both Windows and Linux?

Yup. Open Office. Gimp.

6. Where do you get most of your linux and open-source programs from?

Originally packaged with installed distro.

7. Are there any stores OR servers, within the Maritimes,  that market /
> distribute linux related items and open-source software?

If you find some, let me know. Joking. Check out the thread about municipal
government/Town of Berwick going OSS. Several private sector firms put their
oar  into the waters on the queries I  posed.

8. If not, would you support a linux and open-source distributor within Nova
> Scotia, and the Maritimes?

Probably, yes.

9. Finally, is download speed something you are willing to pay for, to get a
> better speed (having access to ALL programming whether the membership is
> paid, or free), or would you rather pay membership, and have a limited
> amount of access to a server's contents, whether you were a free level
> member,  minimum member, or maximum member? ***

Speed is  a low priority for me.  Content is more important.

10. Finally, how many other people do you know (outside this group) that are
> into Linux?

Handful personally. Virtually, the cast is of thousands.

***I know for a fact, that some sites, like Mandriva Community will charge
> fees for access to their products, to help fund their operation, and
> increase download speeds. I also know that other sites will charge you a
> small fee per month/year, which will give you a higher download speed, even
> when you had free access to ALL programming, just with a low transfer rate
> .
>
> I hope that these questions don't overstep any boundaries that this group
> may have, but i figured this would be the spot to ask my questions!
>
> Thank you for your time, it is greatly appreciated!!
>
> Michael

> !DSPAM:461aef2b7242041710648!

!DSPAM:461d401b211402704185581!