[nSLUG] linux questions

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 00:42:14 ADT 2007

Here is an illustration of how open source, in this case Debian,
is part of a product the masses could enjoy using, and have no idea
open source is part of the picture, at least in evaluating the
features and specifications.

http://www.thecus.com/products_over.php?cid=1&pid=1

This is why I say that the real potential in open source and marketing
isn't to be found in a handful of geeks who like to tweak their own,
and can find everything they need on the net.  The type of
person who will use open source based products like the above
and spend their money, quite likely has no zeal for the concepts
of open source.

Doing a marketing survey within this group to find a business case
is barking up the wrong tree.

Oddly enough, the above hardware product can be a commercial success,
or HP can attribute $25 million in hardware sales to their support of
Debian,
and yet the commercial importance of Debian remains invisible.

Based on this pattern, when Linux (or Plan 9, or Minux...) does
become commonplace, it is doubtful people will understand why
LUGs existed.  "It just works, what do you mean
they used to run install fests?," etc.

In 30 years time, we will be like the old timers you might see in the
summer,
demonstrating how a vintage steam engine operates a hay thrasher.

I'm not a cynic, I just have a longer view of this, and in it, huddling
around brands and favs has little relevance, just as posting everyone's
KDE desktop screenshot to this list, or setting up a grub bootsplash
on a corporate server would be something I'd want to avoid.

--Donald

!DSPAM:461c591b149888177114224!