[nSLUG] linux questions

Tyler Smith tyler.smith at mail.mcgill.ca
Tue Apr 10 16:36:25 ADT 2007

On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 04:19:26PM -0300, Ben Armstrong wrote:

> Of the Linux-using people here at work, I'm the only one who belongs
> to nslug.  I doubt if you'll find these people involved in *any*
> Linux-related groups online.  Some of them are interested
> professionally, others use it at home in limited ways: for a PVR,
> a router, etc.  Others still don't use it daily but keep a Linux
> live CD around "just in case".  These are not representatives of
> the "non-linux using people" of the world.  They just relate to
> Linux differently than the typical nslug member, and they are, I
> estimate, a much larger group who would give quite different answers
> than we've been seeing on the list.

This is why I find this thread so interesting. I naively assume that
most Linux users are like me, actively involved in administering their
own systems, participating in online communities of some sort, and if
they do use Windows, looking for ways to replace proprietary tools
with Free ones when possible. I don't think of Linux as being
something one might use 'casually', or otherwise in a limited way. But
as you point out, there are probably lots of people that do just that.

Cheers,

Tyler

--
Friends don't let friends send Word documents

http://www.nothingisreal.com/dfki/no-word

!DSPAM:461be737128141629428493!