[nSLUG] linux questions

Greg Estabrooks greg at phaze.org
Tue Apr 10 15:01:17 ADT 2007

> 1. How long have you been using linux?

 Since around '93.

> 2. When you use linux, do you use a separate computer, or do you dual
> boot
> with Windows (That's if you even use Windows)?

 Dedicated machines. I have windows in a VMWARE session for the rare
time I absolutely must use it.

> 3. What is you favorite Distribution?

 Slackware

> 5. Do you use Open-Source software in both Windows and Linux?

 Yes, (Firefox, thunderbird, etc)

> 6. Where do you get most of your linux and open-source programs from?
 I don't have a specific source. I get them from their respective sites
or source
repositories... though I suppose www.freshmeat.net is a place I
regularly go if I only
have a vague idea of what I'm looking for.

> 7. Are there any stores OR servers, within the Maritimes,  that market /
> distribute linux related items and open-source software?

 Nothing I'm specifically aware of.

> 8. If not, would you support a linux and open-source distributor
> within Nova
> Scotia, and the Maritimes?

 Not likely. At least not with money.

> 9. Finally, is download speed something you are willing to pay for, to
> get a
> better speed (having access to ALL programming whether the membership is
> paid, or free), or would you rather pay membership, and have a limited
> amount of access to a server's contents, whether you were a free level
> member,  minimum member, or maximum member? ***

 Not likely.

> 10. Finally, how many other people do you know (outside this group)
> that are
> into Linux?

 Too many to count.

> increase download speeds. I also know that other sites will charge you a
> small fee per month/year, which will give you a higher download speed,
> even
> when you had free access to ALL programming, just with a low transfer
> rate.

 Those sort of sites, mostly common with the windows game/windows app
downloading sites are exceptionally annoying, but since they don't
provide anything I use much I generally ignore them.

> Thank you for your time, it is greatly appreciated!!

 Welcome to nSLUG :)

!DSPAM:461bd0aa112991754169972!