[nSLUG] linux questions

Tyler Smith tyler.smith at mail.mcgill.ca
Tue Apr 10 12:05:40 ADT 2007

On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 10:33:53PM -0300, Michael Gillie wrote:
> 1. How long have you been using linux?
Coming up to three years.

> 2. When you use linux, do you use a separate computer, or do you dual boot
> with Windows (That's if you even use Windows)?

I dual-boot with WinXP, both on my laptop and desktop. I kept XP on my
laptop because there were a few apps that I hadn't learned *nix
alternatives for. That list is now down to MSAccess, and once I get
some time to figure out MySQL I'll transfer all my data out of
proprietary formats for good. The desktop gets general use, and my
wife requires some Windows apps for her work.

At this point it's been months since I booted into XP on my laptop.

> 3. What is you favorite Distribution?

Debian

> 4. If your linux distro has various versions and levels, please give that
> info.

Lenny, upgrading from Etch as I write this.

> 5. Do you use Open-Source software in both Windows and Linux?

Yes. I install Firefox on every Windows machine I have the displeasure
of using, and if I'm doing any serious work I also install R and
Xemacs/ESS.

> 6. Where do you get most of your linux and open-source programs from?

The debian repositories

> 7. Are there any stores OR servers, within the Maritimes,  that market /
> distribute linux related items and open-source software?

No idea.

> 8. If not, would you support a linux and open-source distributor within Nova
> Scotia, and the Maritimes?

Probably not - I haven't come across anything that I need that isn't
either in the Debian repositories or easily acquired from the net. As
far as physical supplies, maybe a good bookstore, but when I can
browse Amazon and Safari from my home it would be hard to justify more
than a rare trip into Halifax to support such a business.

> 9. Finally, is download speed something you are willing to pay for, to get a
> better speed (having access to ALL programming whether the membership is
> paid, or free), or would you rather pay membership, and have a limited
> amount of access to a server's contents, whether you were a free level
> member,  minimum member, or maximum member? ***

There are dozens of free Debian repos, so this is a non-issue for me.

> 10. Finally, how many other people do you know (outside this group) that are
> into Linux?

That I've met in person? Maybe a half-dozen. That I've corresponded
with on various newsgroups and forums... many.

Cheers,

Tyler

!DSPAM:461ba7cd57528177510508!