[nSLUG] linux questions

Ian Campbell ian at slu.ms
Tue Apr 10 10:05:16 ADT 2007

On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 10:33:53PM -0300, Michael Gillie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My name is Michael, and I'm a brand new member.
> I am currently in the IT Program hosted by the NSCC.
> Right now, i have some questions or a survey (if you want to call it that
> :-p )  that i am aiming at every member who is willing to answer. If this
> poses a problem, please let me know.
>
> I am trying to understand a few key elements, for a school and personal
> project. I am, myself, like you are, a  linux user, and would swear by it
> alone if i were not on a wireless network, and if my school work did not
> require Windows XP to run.
>
> So, without further ado, i will ask my questions... (you do NOT need to
> answer them if you feel uncomfortable with them. :-)
>

> 1. How long have you been using linux?

11 years.

> 2. When you use linux, do you use a separate computer, or do you dual boot
> with Windows (That's if you even use Windows)?

Windows-free. Desktop runs Gentoo, laptop runs Kubuntu, handful of
other machines run IRIX and Tru64.

> 3. What is you favorite Distribution?

For playing around with, Gentoo. For something I just want to setup
and not fight with, Kubuntu.

> 4. If your linux distro has various versions and levels, please give that
> info.

2006.1 and 7.04, respectively.

> 5. Do you use Open-Source software in both Windows and Linux?

When I have to use Windows, yes.

> 6. Where do you get most of your linux and open-source programs from?

The internet.

> 7. Are there any stores OR servers, within the Maritimes,  that market /
> distribute linux related items and open-source software?

Not that I'm aware of.

> 8. If not, would you support a linux and open-source distributor within Nova
> Scotia, and the Maritimes?

Probably not.

> 9. Finally, is download speed something you are willing to pay for, to get a
> better speed (having access to ALL programming whether the membership is
> paid, or free), or would you rather pay membership, and have a limited
> amount of access to a server's contents, whether you were a free level
> member,  minimum member, or maximum member? ***

Unlikely. I can saturate my home connection on pretty much any OSS
mirror, so unless you're offering content I can't get anywhere else...
Even then, I'm likely to avoid it if I can find an equivalent
elsewhere for free.

> 10. Finally, how many other people do you know (outside this group) that are
> into Linux?

Many.