[nSLUG] linux questions

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Tue Apr 10 08:25:12 ADT 2007

On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 22:33:53 -0300
"Michael Gillie" <mikegpc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My name is Michael, and I'm a brand new member.

Welcome.

> 1. How long have you been using linux?

Since 1995: Debian 0.93R6.

> 2. When you use linux, do you use a separate computer, or do you dual boot
> with Windows (That's if you even use Windows)?

Always pure Linux, with the exception of the occasional remote desktop
connection to a Windows system at the office.

> 3. What is you favorite Distribution?

Debian.

> 4. If your linux distro has various versions and levels, please give that
> info.

I run "sid"/unstable on all my personal systems.  I also run Debian 4.0 "etch"
on a production EM64T server.

> 5. Do you use Open-Source software in both Windows and Linux?

Naturally, my preference is to use open source on Linux.  But I have also
been pushing for more use of open source on Windows and OpenVMS at work,
which are the two officially supported platforms.  When I need to work on
those systems or am at a public system (such as at our public libraries)
I always choose open source alternatives when available.

> 6. Where do you get most of your linux and open-source programs from?

Download them from a Debian archive mirror using apt-get.

> 7. Are there any stores OR servers, within the Maritimes,  that market /
> distribute linux related items and open-source software?

I'm sure there are local mirrors of open source software.  As for stores, I
have no interest, so I have not really noticed.

> 8. If not, would you support a linux and open-source distributor within Nova
> Scotia, and the Maritimes?

For the sake of friends, coworkers and family who want to buy a system with
Linux pre-installed, sure.  For personal use?  No.

> 9. Finally, is download speed something you are willing to pay for, to get a
> better speed (having access to ALL programming whether the membership is
> paid, or free), or would you rather pay membership, and have a limited
> amount of access to a server's contents, whether you were a free level
> member,  minimum member, or maximum member? ***

Honestly?  We live in the land of bandwidth milk and honey in Halifax, with
two excellent high speed providers at dirt cheap rates.  Would I pay more
over and above their basic packages?  No.  I think they already deliver
plenty for my needs.

> 10. Finally, how many other people do you know (outside this group) that are
> into Linux?

Hundreds?  Thousands?  What do you mean "know"?  I have probably discussed on
irc channels and mailing lists various Linux and free software related topics
with thousands of individuals over the past twelve years; the names I
would recognize if I encountered them again probably number in the hundreds;
and as for my circle of closer friends, colleagues and family with whom I
regularly work or help use Linux, surely they must number over one hundred.

Ben
 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
 \`'  Debian   http://www.debian.org    synrg at debian.org

!DSPAM:461b743943772381226325!