[nSLUG] linux questions

David Payne dapayne12 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 06:41:32 ADT 2007

Hi,

On 4/9/07, Michael Gillie <mikegpc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My name is Michael, and I'm a brand new member.
> I am currently in the IT Program hosted by the NSCC.
> Right now, i have some questions or a survey (if you want to call it that
> :-p )  that i am aiming at every member who is willing to answer. If this
> poses a problem, please let me know.
>
> I am trying to understand a few key elements, for a school and personal
> project. I am, myself, like you are, a  linux user, and would swear by it
> alone if i were not on a wireless network, and if my school work did not
> require Windows XP to run.
>
> So, without further ado, i will ask my questions... (you do NOT need to
> answer them if you feel uncomfortable with them. :-)
>

> 1. How long have you been using linux?

On and off for 4 years.

> 2. When you use linux, do you use a separate computer, or do you dual boot
> with Windows (That's if you even use Windows)?

Right now I have Linux installed on my laptop and desktop computer.
On my desktop computer I have Windows XP installed in a virtual
machine but I don't use that very often.

> 3. What is you favorite Distribution?

Ubuntu/Debian

> 4. If your linux distro has various versions and levels, please give that
> info.

Ubuntu 6.10 and Debian 4.0.

> 5. Do you use Open-Source software in both Windows and Linux?

I have Firefox installed on my Windows VM.  When I did run Windows a
bit back I did run a bit more open source software on it.

> 6. Where do you get most of your linux and open-source programs from?

I download them.

> 7. Are there any stores OR servers, within the Maritimes,  that market /
> distribute linux related items and open-source software?

I am not sure, I have never looked.

> 8. If not, would you support a linux and open-source distributor within Nova
> Scotia, and the Maritimes?

I may support them, but I don't think I would go out of the way to buy
something I do not need.

> 9. Finally, is download speed something you are willing to pay for, to get a
> better speed (having access to ALL programming whether the membership is
> paid, or free), or would you rather pay membership, and have a limited
> amount of access to a server's contents, whether you were a free level
> member,  minimum member, or maximum member? ***

I don't think so.

> 10. Finally, how many other people do you know (outside this group) that are
> into Linux?

I do know people who use Linux on and off (I do go to universsity).  I
know of at least one person who runs it on there laptop, and another
who runs it in a virtual machine "all the time" as they would put it.
At SMU there is a computer running Linux and just about everyone at
SMU has to connect to it for one class or another, so I guess you
could say we have all used it at some point or another.