[nSLUG] Re: linux questions

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Tue Apr 10 04:22:43 ADT 2007

Welcome, Michael --

> 1. How long have you been using linux?

     7 years (but Unix for 18 years)

> 2. When you use linux, do you use a separate computer, or do you dual boot
>    with Windows

Six Linux computers. 1 dual boots ms-dos 5, one also dual boots
Win-3.1. DOS-5 & Win 3.1 are each for one or two specific apps only.

> 3. What is you favorite Distribution?

Slackware

> 4. If your linux distro has various versions and levels, please give that

Slack 10.1

> 5. Do you use Open-Source software in both Windows and Linux?

All for Linux except Maple 5 and some drivers/codecs. The Win 3.1 Kodak app
is closed src binary as are the two DOS apps I use.

> 6. Where do you get most of your linux and open-source programs from?

Slackware from the from the home site. Other stuff from all over.

> 7. Are there any stores OR servers, within the Maritimes,  that market/
> distribute linux related items and open-source software?

Roswell used to sell a boxed Red Hat.  Otherwise, dunno.

> 8. If not, would you support a linux and open-source distributor within Nova
> Scotia, and the Maritimes?

Support how?  I'd go to such a place first for hardware because I'd expect
the distributor to know that what they sold was Linux-compatible.

> 9. Finally, is download speed something you are willing to pay for, to get a
> better speed...

No.

> 10. Finally, how many other people do you know (outside this group) that are
> into Linux?

Two, both in the US.  (That's assuming that a couple of lurkers are still
"in this group". :-)

FWIW,
- Mike

                                 (902) 543-8375            /V\