[nSLUG] Put down your snow shovel, etch is out

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 18:54:20 ADT 2007

On 4/9/07, Tyler Smith <tyler.smith at mail.mcgill.ca> wrote:

> As far as actual functionality, I think apt-get does everything
> aptitude does, and probably a bit more, just without the fancy
> display.

aptitude works on the command line, a lot like apt-get, but apparently
with a better pre-op exam.  In my case, apt-get dist-upgrade would be
ready to process the upgrade, whereas aptitude dist-upgrade
causes an warning that I have to take care of a problem before
upgrading:

# aptitude dist-upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
Some packages had unmet dependencies.  This may mean that you have
or been moved out of Incoming.

  libfam0c102: Conflicts: libfam0 but 2.7.0-12 is to be installed.

This is on a machine running stable, although there are also some
debian unofficial and volatile packages on it (those repos commented out
for the upgrade).

I think it is this sort of housecleaning the release notes are getting at.

--Donald

!DSPAM:461ab60e321742120016660!