[nSLUG] Put down your snow shovel, etch is out

Tyler Smith tyler.smith at mail.mcgill.ca
Mon Apr 9 16:21:39 ADT 2007

On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 03:37:05PM -0300, D G Teed wrote:
> Debian 4.0 is now released!  I just noticed apt-get upgrade wanted
> to throw 800 MB of stuff at me and I suspected this was why.
>
> I see lots of reference now in release notes about using aptitude
> rather than apt-get.  Did I miss something?  Was this suggested
> before in Debian 3.1 guides or is it part of a new approach?
>
> --Donald

I find the Debian documents are somewhat confusing, in that any
particular source may be referring to any release from woody to the
current sid. That said, most of the (apparently) recent docs suggest
that aptitude is now the preferred interface to apt-get/dpkg et al. I
think there may have been a minor transition involved between sarge
and etch, but since I only ran sarge for about a week before switching
to etch I don't know for certain when it happened.

As far as actual functionality, I think apt-get does everything
aptitude does, and probably a bit more, just without the fancy
display.

Cheers,

Tyler

--